How to Delete Frequently Visited Sites on iPhone Safari App (iOS 16)
Here’s how to get rid of Frequently Visited in Safari on your iPhone and what happens when you remove Frequently Visited.
* This post is part of iPhone Life‘s Tip of the Day newsletter. Sign Up. *
Frequently Visited sites are the websites you visit most often in the Safari browser; they appear when you open a new tab in Safari on your iPhone or iPad. Here’s how to remove Frequently Visited on iPhone in the Safari app.
Why You’ll Love This Tip
- Learn how to remove Frequently Visited sites on Safari so others won’t be able to easily see which sites you visit most.
- Learn how to restore Frequently Visited if your iOS 16 Safari Frequently Visited sites disappear.
How to Remove Frequently Visited Sites on iPhone
You may want to learn how to get rid of Frequently Visited on Safari to keep your browsing habits private. Keep in mind that Frequently Visited sites in the Safari browser are not the same thing as Safari bookmarks, so any site you’ve saved as a bookmark will remain if you disable the Frequently Visited sites on your iPhone. If you want to learn how to hide Frequently Visited on Safari due to privacy concerns, download our In-Depth Privacy Guide for a more complete overview of secure browsing, and be sure to sign up for our free Tip of the Day newsletter for more iPhone privacy tips.
To remove Frequently Visited on iPhone, open the Safari app.
If the Safari browser doesn’t open a new tab, tap the tabs icon in the lower right corner.
Tap the Plus icon on the lower-left corner to open a new tab.
Scroll to the bottom of the new tab and tap the Edit button.
There are a variety of options to customize what new tabs look like on the Customize Start Page screen. This screen is also where you can disable Frequently Visited sites on the iPhone; just tap the toggle switch to turn the feature off. Note: Once you turn Frequently Visited off, you may not be able to make the section reappear on your Safari home page.
When you turn off Frequently Visited in Safari on an iPhone, the section disappears from Safari completely. Ostensibly, if you turn the feature back on, the sites should reappear, but some of us have noticed that once we turn Safari Frequently Visited tracking off, we can’t turn it back on. This seems like a bug that Apple may work out later, but for right now, it makes toggling Frequently Visited sites off pretty final. So before you complete these steps, make sure you really want to delete Frequently Visited sites on your iPhone!
Master your iPhone in one minute a day: Sign up here to get our FREE Tip of the Day delivered right to your inbox.
How to Delete Frequently Visited Sites on Safari
Every time you open the web browser like Safari, Google Chrome and others, your browser will record most visited sites automatically. As time goes by, it will provide a list of “frequently visited sites” on the new browser window. Thus, there is no need to search and open that website. All you need to do is to click an icon from your collection of frequently visited sites. However, it is not a good feature in certain cases.
What if someone borrows your phone or computer but find something you do not want to show? And you may not want to browse that site any more. With these or those reasons, this article collects powerful solutions of how to delete frequently visited sites on iPhone and computer. Therefore, you can delete most recent sites visited individually and easily.
Part 1 : How Do You Delete Frequently Visited Sites on Safari
If you can’t delete frequently visited sites, then the following paragraphs can be your complete guide. No matter which digital device you use, you can always find the best way to delete and edit frequently visited sites in Safari here.
Delete Most Visited Sites on iPhone/iPad through Safari
Most people report that it is hard to delete frequently visited sites on iPhone XR and other iOS devices. If you have the same problem, then you can protect your privacy with easy steps. Now, let’s start the trial to remove most visited sites through Safari on portable Apple devices.
Step 1 . Locate Safari on iPhone/iPad/iPod
Open Safari app on your Apple device. Later, double click the square icon at the bottom of your screen. You can see a new window pops up with a list of your frequently visited sites.
Step 2 . Delete most visited sites from new tab
Long press any place of this list to see all items. Then find and hold the site you want to remove. Do not release it until the “Delete” option shows. At last, you can choose “Delete” to delete frequently visited sites on iOS 12 and other iOS versions.
In addition, you can clear Safari history and its browsing data regularly as well. Just head to Settings > Safari > Clear History and Website Data. Well, the recommended way is to enable private mode. As a result, you will not be tracked. And Safari will not save websites links of your frequently visited sites automatically.
Erase Frequently Visited Sites on My Mac
So how do you delete the websites you visited on Mac? Is there any way to prevent others from viewing most visited sites on your profile? During this time, you can try the following steps within few clicks.
Step 1 . Access most visited sites of Safari on Mac
Open your Safari browser on Mac. Then choose “Settings” or “Preferences” from the drop-down Safari menu. Choose “Favorite” besides “New tabs open with” option. Later, you are able to see all frequently visited sites on your Mac computer.
Step 2 . Delete frequently visited sites on Mac
Then open a new Safari window. Right click on its background. You can see an option of “Show Frequently Visited Sites”. Uncheck this option to disable most visited sites on Safari. Moreover, you can right click that icon and select “Delete” to delete a frequently visited site on Mac individually.
Actually, you can also hide purchased apps on Mac through iTunes. Just locate the purchased page on iTunes. Later, click “x” on the top left corner of that app icon. Choose “Hide” to confirm and hide any purchased app on Mac manually. Well, you can follow the same operation to manage hidden purchases on iPhone, iPad and iPod as well.
Part 2 : How Do I Turn Off Frequently Visited in Safari
For people who do not want to see any suggestion of most visited sites, it is a good choice to disable Safari Frequently Visited Sites. The whole process is quite easy, and you can turn on this feature whenever you need.
Step 1 . Navigate Safari on your iOS device
Turn on your iPhone or iPad. Choose “Settings” app with the gear icon. Then scroll down and select “Safari”.
Step 2 . Turn off and delete most visited sites in Safari
Locate “General” section to find “Frequently Visited Sites”. Then trigger the on-off option besides to the “Off” state. After that, restart your Safari browser to have a check.
Next time you want to turn on frequently visited sites in Safari, you can follow the similar operations as above mentioned.
Tips and Tricks about Deleting Frequently Visited Sites
So how to delete visited websites on Google Chrome? To be honest, you can delete any part of your Chrome browsing history manually. In another word, Google Chrome allows users to delete frequently visited sites on all devices. Just open your Chrome web browser and choose “More” option on the top right corner. Later, select “History” to access all your previous visited sites on Chrome. Of course, you can also click “Clear browsing data” to clean up Google Chrome completely.
Part 3 : FAQs of Deleting Frequently Visited Sites on Safari
1. How to see your top sites in Safari on Mac?
To view the Top Sites page In the Safari app on your Mac: Choose Bookmarks > Show Top Sites. If you don’t see Show Top Sites, choose Safari > Preferences, click General, then click the “New windows open with” pop-up menu and choose Top Sites.
2. How to Delete Frequently Visited Sites on iPhone or iPad in Chrome?
If you want to delete a frequently visited website, just tap and hold the website icon. Then, tap Remove. If you want to delete all of your frequently visited sites in Google Chrome, you can simply clear your browsing history. To do this: Tap the three vertical dots in the upper right corner of Chrome. Navigate to History and then choose Clear Browsing Data. Then, tap Clear Browsing Data at the bottom of the page and tap Clear Browsing Data. Next, confirm Clear Browsing Data.
3. How do I clear Safari browser history on iPhone?
To clear your Safari browser history on iPhone, open Safari and tap on the icon that looks like an open book at the bottom of the screen. Tap Clear on the bottom right of the screen. Then, choose how far back to clear your history and then tap Done to return to browsing.
In conclusion, you are able to delete frequently visited sites on iPhone and computer easily with above solutions. And you can clear browsing data manually as well. Moreover, feel free to contact us if you have any difficulty when you delete most visited sites in Safari or Chrome.
5 Ways to Delete Frequently Visited Sites on iPhone 7/8/XS: Step-by-Step Guide
If you are a regular iOS user, then you must be familiar with the “frequently visited” feature of Safari. To make it easier for users to access the commonly visited websites, Safari displays its shortcuts on its home. Though, plenty of times, users wish to delete this option as it tampers with their privacy. The good thing is that you can easily learn how to delete frequently visited sites on iPhone 7, 8, X, XS, and all the major iPhone versions. The guide will help you do the same with several other useful resources to keep your data safe on your iPhone.
Part 1: One-click Solution to Delete Frequently Visited Sites Permanently
While iPhone provides a native feature to delete the frequently visited sites, it isn’t an ideal solution. Anyone can later retrieve this deleted information using a recovery tool. To overcome this limitation and delete all kinds of private content from iPhone, consider using Dr.Fone – Data Eraser (iOS). It is a highly advanced and user-friendly data eraser tool for iPhone. You can use it to select the kind of data that you wish to remove from your iOS device. All the content will be removed permanently without any future data recovery scope.
Dr.Fone – Data Eraser
Effective Solution to Delete Frequently Visited Sites on iPhone
- Using Dr.Fone – Data Eraser (iOS), you can get rid of all kinds of Safari data, including its history, bookmarks, frequently visited sites, and so on.
- The application can also delete your device’s photos, videos, audio, documents, third-party data, and so much more.
- Users can select the kind of data they wish to erase and keep the other content intact. The tool will not cause any kind of harm to your device.
- The application also lets us free up space on the iOS device by compressing photos, transferring them to the PC, or deleting the unwanted apps.
- It is a professional data eraser tool that will delete the selected content without any future recovery scope.
You can download the application on your Mac or Windows PC and connect your iPhone to the system. Afterward, follow these steps to learn how to delete frequently visited sites on iPhone 7/8/X/XS.
1. Launch the Dr.Fone toolkit and from its home, open the Dr.Fone – Data Eraser (iOS) application. Also, make sure that your phone is connected to the system using a working lightning cable.
2. You can see different options to delete iPhone data on the left. Select “Erase Private Data” to continue.
3. Subsequently, you need to pick the kind of content you wish to delete. In this case, it will be Safari Data.
4. Mark the appropriate data types and start the process. The tool will scan your device storage and extract the selected content.
5. It will also let you preview the extracted data and handpick the files you wish to delete. Click on the “Erase” button to continue.
6. As you know, this will permanently delete the selected content. Thus, you will be asked to enter the displayed key (000000) and click on the “Erase Now” button to confirm.
7. That’s it! In seconds, all sorts of Safari data (including the detail of the frequently visited site) would be erased from your device.
When the iOS device would be restarted in the normal mode, you can safely remove it from the system
Part 2: Manually Delete Frequently Visited Sites on iPhone 7/8/Xs
If you want, you can also manually delete the frequently visited sites on iPhone yourself. To do this, you need to delete a website entry individually. Needless to say, this is a more time-consuming solution and is not that reliable. Anyone can retrieve the details you have deleted by using a recovery tool afterward. If you are ready to take this risk, then follow these steps to learn how to delete frequently visited sites on iPhone.
1. To start with, launch Safari on your iPhone and tap on the new window icon from the bottom panel.
2. Subsequently, tap on the “+” icon to open a new tab on Safari. This will list favorites and the frequently visited websites.
3. Hold and long-press any website listed here until you get the “Delete” option. Tap on it to remove the entry from the Frequently Visited section. You can do the same for all the other listed web pages too.
Part 3: Disable Frequently Visited Sites on iPhone 7/8/Xs
Chances are that you could be tired of deleting the frequently visited sites from Safari every now and then. If you don’t want to follow the same drill on a regular basis, then you can simply disable this feature from Safari altogether. In order to turn off the feature, you need to visit Safari’s Settings on iPhone. Once you have disabled it, Safari won’t display the frequently visited websites on it anymore.
1. Unlock your iPhone and go to its Settings > Safari.
2. Scroll down a bit to visit the General Settings of Safari.
3. Here, you can see an option for “Frequently Visited Sites”. Just turn this feature off by disabling it from here.
Part 4: Use Private Mode to Avoid Recording Frequently Visited Sites
Just like other popular browsers like Google Chrome or Firefox, Safari also lets us browse the web privately. To do this, you can turn on its private browsing mode. This won’t store your history, passwords, usernames, cookies, etc. while browsing. Needless to say, the websites you visit privately will not affect the frequently visited feature on Safari. To browse the web privately using Safari on iPhone, follow these steps:
1. Launch Safari on your iPhone and tap on the new window icon at the bottom of the screen.
2. On the bottom panel, you can view a “Private” button. Simply tap on it to select it.
3. Now, just tap on the “+” icon to launch a new private window on Safari. You can now browse the web privately.
4. Whenever you wish to exit the private mode, tap on the new window icon once again. This time, tap the “Private” option to disable it. Now, all the browsing history will be recorded by Safari.
Part 5: Clear Safari History Altogether with Frequently Visited Sites
By following the above-listed methods, you can easily learn how to delete frequently visited sites on iPhone 7, 8, X, XS, and other models. If you have found this a bit tedious, then don’t worry. Safari also lets us delete the browsing history and website data altogether in one go. This will automatically delete the frequently visited site history on iPhone as well.
1. Firstly, go to your iPhone Settings and tap on the “Safari” option.
2. Scroll till the end and tap on the “Clear History and Website Data” button.
3. As a warning message would appear, tap on the “Clear History and Data” option again to confirm your choice.
Now when you know how to delete frequently visited sites on iPhone, you can easily customize your browsing experience. The listed steps work without any trouble on every common iPhone model like iPhone 7, 8, X, XR, XS, etc. Though, there can be a slight difference in the overall interface. Also, if you wish to erase all the private and unwanted data from your iPhone permanently, then consider using Dr.Fone – Data Eraser (iOS). A highly advanced data eraser tool, it can help you delete all kinds of data from iPhone without any recovery scope.